Table of contents
- Why Should I Use My Own Modem With Spectrum Internet?
- How to Tell if a Modem Is Approved by Spectrum?
- Reviews of the Best Spectrum-Approved Modems
- Announcing the Winner
Who would not want an internet plan at the best bargain available? Get your own Spectrum-approved modem to enjoy fast-speed internet and Spectrum select channels with the best possible internet equipment at your home. There are many reasons why you would want to use your own modem with a Spectrum Internet plan despite a free modem included in the subscription. Let’s explore what kind of modem you may use with Spectrum.
Why Should I Use My Own Modem With Spectrum Internet?
One of the most common reasons behind people using their own internet equipment instead of renting it out from the ISP is to save the rental cost. However, the rental cost is rarely an issue with Spectrum internet plans, thanks to its free-of-cost internet modem that is also of top-notch quality.
However, there are some other valid reasons for using your own internet equipment with Spectrum internet plans:
- You get to choose the quality and features of the modem yourself. Instead of getting stuck with the pre-decided modem from the ISP, you can browse through the market and choose the best modem that meets your needs. Many people end up buying a modem and router combo to make internet signal coverage much better in their homes.
- Hidden fees like professional installation offered by Spectrum can be inconvenient for many people. It is much better to be able to use your own modem and even install it on your own. You know your house better and know where the signal coverage will be the best. Using and installing your own modem can help you dodge the one-time installation cost of about $49.99.
- Many times you cannot make the most out of features like parental controls and guest networks if you don’t own the modem yourself. For this reason, many families would prefer buying a third-party modem with more features, set it up on their own, and control it without the ISP’s help.
How to Tell if a Modem Is Approved by Spectrum?
It is important to note that not just any modem will work with Spectrum internet. There are certain requirements and standards of a modem that make it compatible with Spectrum internet. Other than the speed compatibility, there are many other factors you may look into to find out the compatibility of a modem with your Spectrum internet plan or package.
- The easiest, most convenient way of getting to know if your modem is compatible with Spectrum internet is to contact the ISP’s customer service and ask them about the particular modem models that you are interested in buying/already own.
- Another quick way is to check the Spectrum website for a list of approved modems.
- It is best to use modems that are of DOCSIS 3.0 standard or above.
Reviews of the Best Spectrum-Approved Modems
For family homes where teenagers are hooked onto the internet all the time, a modem with features like parental controls is a must-have. For this reason, the Gryphon Parental Control tops the list of the best modems for Spectrum internet.
The modem is backed by Gryphon software that takes you through the setup process step-by-step. It helps build a secure network. The software is then used for monitoring your modem, as well as how the internet is being used on other devices. Use it to set parental controls, guest networks, and check and install frequent updates and security features.
Other features of the modem include tri-band Wi-Fi technology, MESH Wi-Fi connectivity, and 6 powerful internet antennas.
Spectrum internet speed tiers accommodate different types of internet users. The 400-800 Mbps internet speeds can be fully enjoyed with this SMC Networks D3CMI1604 Modem. It is equipped with a maximum downstream speed of 640 Mbps, has 16 x 4 channel bonding, and is a DOCSIS 3.0 modem that can work with most of your Spectrum bundles.
It also has a practical design, featuring a tall-standing structure with LED light indicators on the front panel. This modem is highly recommended for gaming and streaming in high definition. The modem comes with a generous warranty as well, adding more value to your money.
If you are subscribing to Spectrum’s 1 gig internet plan, then this ARRIS Surfboard S33 modem is the perfect pick for you. The modem has an impressive, sleek appearance that features a tall-standing slim, and white device with a light blue light indicator. It is equipped with a powerful 2 gigabit Ethernet port, along with 32 x 8 channel bonding and DOCSIS 3.1 certification.
Other than Spectrum, it also works with all major internet service providers in the USA, allowing future-proof and long-term usability. Out of the diverse ARRIS Surfboard series, this modem stands tall as one of the fastest modems to accompany your internet plans of up to 2.5 Gbps.
Announcing the Winner
A modem is going to be part of your whole home Wi-Fi network and therefore needs to have some robust qualities that can make it good at its job. For family homes where teenagers and young kids live with their parents, the Gryphon Modem works best. Its parental controls and easy app-control make it convenient for everyone. However, if you are subscribed to Spectrum’s gigabit plan, you will need a fast and future-proof modem like the ARRIS Surfboard. While both these are excellent, top-notch modems, the winner really just depends on your own usage and preferences. It’s time to get prepped up with an affordable internet package from Spectrum by speaking to a professional at BuyTVInternetPhone, so they can suggest the most suitable internet plan for your home.